5th Pastor - Rev. Wilmore A. Carter – 17 year tenure
On June 24, 1952, the church called as its Pastor, Rev. Wilmore A. Carter, one of the Sons of Friendship Baptist Church, who took charge an August 3, 1952. Rev. Carter’s dynamic services and forceful leadership revived and inspired the entire membership.
Some of his innovations included the organization of a Youth Club, a Youth Coral Group, a Flower Club and Men’s Club. A church bulletin published weekly by the Youth Club was also started. Upon Rev. Carter’s recommendation, Rev. Frank L. White, Liberty’s own Son, was chosen as Associate Minister.
In May 1960, George Washington University purchased the 23rd Street site of Liberty Baptist and the church members took temporary quarters in the Odd Fellows Hall at 9th and “T “ Streets, Northwest.
The site Liberty now occupies, 527 Kentucky Avenue, Southeast was purchased on May 1, 1962. On September 22, 1962, the Grand Lodge of the Prince Hall Masons laid the corner stone of the new Liberty Baptist Church of Washington, DC. The grand march from Lincoln Park to this present site was made Sunday, September 23, 1962.
Rev. Carter chose as our motto, “…WHERE THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS, THERE IS LIBERTY.” (2 Corinthians 3:17).
Amid controversy, Rev. Carter resigned in March of 1969; the pulpit was vacant for eight months.
Rev. Mason was asked to be Liberty’s Interim Pastor during this time.
6th Pastor – Rev. Willie J. Mason – 5 ½ year tenure
During Liberty’s Centennial Celebration, November 16-24, 1969, Liberty installed her new Pastor, Rev. Willie J. Mason. Rev. Mason, formerly Pastor of Liberty’s Junior Church was also a Son of Friendship Baptist Church.
Rev. Mason was instrumental in having Liberty work with the National Capital Day Care Center. He revitalized the Pastors Aid Club. He organized the Scholarship Committee, the Public Relations Committee, the New Members Club, and the Women’s Club.
In January, 1975 Rev. Mason appointed Sister Estelle G. Harrison chairperson of the mortgage drive, to help relieve the church of its $40,000.00 debt.
In June 1975, Rev. Mason saw fit to tender his resignation to become Pastor-Elect of one of our sister churches. The pulpit was vacant for 1½ years.
With loving concern for our church, Liberty’s torch of enlightenment and salvation was carried on under the loyal guidance of Rev. Frank L. White, as Interim Pastor.
Rev. White, a dedicated man, secure in the Love and Will of God, strengthened our weaknesses and did much to keep Liberty together. Under his guidance, the Volunteer Club was reactivated. He instituted Bible Study Class and a Children’s Choir was organized.