(1952-1975)

On June 24, 1952, the church called Rev. Wilmore A. Carter as its Pastor.  Rev. Carter, a Son of Friendship Baptist Church, took charge on August 3, 1952.  His dynamic services and forceful leadership revived and inspired the entire membership. Some of his innovations included the organization of a Youth Club, a Youth Coral Group, a Flower Club and a Men’s Club. A church bulletin published weekly by the Youth Club was also started. Upon Rev. Carter’s recommendation, Rev. Frank L. White, Liberty’s own Son, was chosen as Associate Minister.

In May 1960, George Washington University purchased the 23rd Street site of Liberty and the church members took temporary quarters in the Odd Fellows Hall at 9th and T Streets, Northwest. The site Liberty now occupies, 527 Kentucky Avenue, Southeast, was purchased on May 1, 1962.  On September 22, 1962, the Grand Lodge of the Prince Hall Masons laid the corner stone of the new Liberty Baptist Church of Washington, DC. The grand march to this present site was made on Sunday, September 23, 1962.  Rev. Carter chose as our motto, “Where The Spirit Of The Lord Is, There Is Liberty.” (II Corinthians 3:17). Amid controversy, Rev. Carter resigned in March of 1969; the pulpit was vacant for eight months. Rev. Mason was asked to be Liberty’s Interim Pastor during this time.

During Liberty’s Centennial Celebration, November 16-24, 1969, her new Pastor, Rev. Willie J. Mason was installed.  Rev. Mason, formerly Pastor of Liberty’s Junior Church was also a Son of Friendship Baptist Church.  Rev. Mason was instrumental in having Liberty work with the National Capital Day Care Center. He revitalized the Pastor’s Aid Club.  He organized the Scholarship Committee, the Public Relations Committee, the New Members Club, and the Women’s Club.  In January 1975, Rev. Mason appointed Sister Estelle G. Harrison chairperson of the mortgage drive, to help relieve the church of its $40,000 debt.
 
In June 1975, Rev. Mason saw fit to tender his resignation to become Pastor-Elect of one of our sister churches. The pulpit was vacant for 1½ years. With loving concern for our church, Liberty’s torch of enlightenment and salvation was carried on under the loyal guidance of Rev. Frank L. White, as Interim Pastor.  Rev. White, a dedicated man, secure in the love and will of God, strengthened our weaknesses and did much to keep Liberty together. Under his guidance, the Volunteer Club was reactivated, he instituted a Bible Study Class, and a Children’s Choir was organized.